Monday 25 January 2016

Hooves on Fire (RSC Dream16 blog): A Donkey's Tale by the Nonentities Bottom: Raging Donkey

Robert de Niro.

I don't know whether it's just me, but whenever said Robert crops up in conversation, someone always mentions the phrase 'method actor'. The conversation usually develops with a list of how he prepares for the role he is cast in; how he spends endless hours immersing himself in the role.  Piling on the pounds for 'Raging Bull' or driving around as a taxi driver for hours in his research for his role in...well you know the rest.

Obviously, like all good actors, Mr De Niro values the need to research the role he is playing. Understanding what makes a person who they are, the sort of life they live and the job they do, can make for a more 'believable' performance. It's generally called 'method acting'-a term coined by Lee Strasberg who advanced the ideas of the earlier 'System' that Stanislavsky had formulated.

In the weeks leading up to the main rehearsals for Dream 16, there's been a lot of individual research undertaken by the amateur acting groups as well as the RSC. Everything we need to know about the play, the period, the jobs of the rude mechanicals et al has been read, discussed and incorporated into our initial understandings of these characters who come together to perform a play. Having amassed so much background knowledge, I feel I know a lot more about the role of Bottom as a weaver and amateur actor. But I felt there was one piece of vital research missing.

Like many of us, I think I 'know' about donkeys. I rode them on the beaches, my brother had a donkey jacket, I played Buckaroo as a kid and later Donkey Kong. So I think in terms of playing one, I had felt sufficiently able to use that in the section of the play where Bottom is 'transformed'. However, it struck me that for at least a quarter of his time on stage, Bottom is an 'ass' and in terms of iconic Shakespearean moments is one audiences seem to know. The researcher inside me wanted to do more and explore what it might be like to be transformed into an ass, without bedding down in a stable for three weeks.

So with the phrase "What would Robert de Niro do ? " running through my head, I found myself trotting along to the Birmingham Donkey Sanctuary.

The Donkey Sanctuary was founded as a charity in 1969, by Dr Elisabeth Svendsen MBE. She dedicated her life to champion donkeys, and it is only through her amazing devotion that the Sanctuary grew to the international charity it is today. Their mission is to transform the quality of life for donkeys, mules and people worldwide through greater understanding, collaboration and support, and by promoting lasting, mutually life-enhancing relationships.

Based in a lovely corner of Sutton Park in sunny Brum, it was the ideal place to see whether watching Rex Harrison in 'Doctor Doolittle' had indeed paid off and if the donkey posse would recognise a fellow ass.

I was introduced to Andy, who was one of the grooms at the centre. We had a great discussion about donkey traits and the signs that show emotions. For instance, donkeys move quickly away if they are 'afeared', and then will move cautiously back to explore; they also like nothing more than to be stroked around the jaw -which will produce a lovely wobbly lip movement showing enjoyment. There's also the 'nudging' they do when they want to get your attention. 

Andy then invited me to come into the field where a whole bray of donkeys were standing to get up close and personal. Striding into a muddy field in wellies to do a 'meet and greet' with the donkey gang was brilliant. They really are gentle and noble creatures, and there was a real sense of calm amongst them, despite having this pretender to the donkey throne in their presence. 

Donkey's have amazing voices too. When they bray, the noise they make is incredible and together their animal chorus is nothing short of impressive. Just like their movements, their calls indicate all sorts of emotions and a cry of fear is rather like an asthmatic cough-wheezy and repetitive. In terms of transferring this vocal quality to me as Bottom, I think Michael Corbidge would have his work cut out !



Seeing -and being surrounded- by these noble beasts was not only great for some research, but also reinforced why the Donkey Sanctuaries across the UK do a lot of therapy work with children and adults. There's a real magic in the connection between man and beast and the staff work hard to give both donkeys and visitors a fantastic 'hands on' experience. It's hard to put into words, but I'd certainly go and visit a donkey sanctuary to see for yourself.

I think Robert de Niro would approve of my research. In fact, to ensure I keep up to date with the latest in donkey trends and issues, I've adopted a donkey called Oscar at the centre. There was something about the name that seemed to appeal to me…for what reason I don't know. But as rehearsals start to kick in and the donkey moment approaches, I feel my donkey research has been a useful tool in my thinking. Gosh, after all that sharing methinks I have a desire for a bottle of hay….


.
To find out more about the work of the Donkey Sanctuary visit:

http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk

or on Twitter: @DonkeySanctuary  @BhamDonkeys

or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Donkey-Sanctuary-Birmingham-210707702284465/?fref=ts


Big thank you to Sara, Andy and all the team at the Birmingham Donkey Sanctuary for their help and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment